Sunday, February 16, 2014

Compassion

com·pas·sion

[kuhm-pash-uhn]
noun
1. a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.
 
I had a difficult time in Florida with the "animal trade". Alligators in tanks, dried seahorses and blow-fish for sale, animal parts for sale...
 
Once upon a time I was the proud owner of several rabbits' feet. While I couldn't imagine having a foot from one of my own pet rabbits, I loved all things rabbit and didn't think twice about having a preserved, colored paw in my pocket at all times (I was 14). 
 
Today, it feels like buying death. Preserved Alligator feet hanging from jars of hot sauce & Jellies, dead animal parts topping pencils, alligator heads for sale, dead sharks floating in some blue preserving liquid... UGH! 
 
At least this guy is alive.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment