Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Canada Day Celebration

July 1, 2014 - Canada Day

The alarm was set for 5am but never rang. Fortunately the phone did and I realized that I had set the "weekend" alarm but Canada Day was on a Tuesday this year. It was 6:55 and I was due at Jubilee Park for set up at 7am. With a quick text message to Kerri, Sadie & I were out the door. Arriving at 7:30, we were directed to the Exhibitors Tent on the west side of Jubilee Park. I'd seen it during my ride-by the evening before.


I unloaded the table, trainer stand, and prizes into my space in the tent and headed back up the hill to park. Sadie had offered me a ride back to the tent if I let her ride up the hill in the truck. It was a deal!

Arriving back at the tent, I set Sadie up on the trainer stand and arranged my display of prizes and posters. Ready for visitors by 8 but not officially open until 11, I left the Exhibitors Tent in search of breakfast. There is an excellent pancake breakfast - a steal at only $3 and with Bradley Tucker serenading us with Diesel, Diesel, Diesel, who could ask for more?


After breakfast I headed back to the tent to find Sadie - dressed up in her new handlebar grips and streamers - ready for her signs. As I affixed her signs, Sadie talked about how excited she was to meet new people and tell them all about The Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer and how she is going to ride 220 km over 2 days in August to raise funds for The Alberta Cancer Foundation. She can hardly wait!


It was a busy day, meeting new people, greeting friends, signing people up for the prize draw (read on for the winners), and handing out bubbles to the kids. I especially liked hearing the children talk about their bikes and biking adventures. I enjoyed hearing the stories from everyone who had ridden The Ride before, those would would like to ride, and those who are interested in biking in general. Although we weren't open until 11, folks were strolling through as early as 9 and we were busy all day. 11 hours, 200+ informational cards, & 75 bottles of bubbles later, it was time to pack up. Driving home, I couldn't help but think about what a fantastic city Spruce Grove is and how many wonderful people there are here in town. I hope to see you all out on the trails soon! Watch for me & Sadie as we continue to train on the trails and streets of Spruce Grove!

Prize Winners:

Irises framed photograph - Tina Boissonnault

Bike Gears framed photograph - Michael Anthony

Bike Water  Bottle - Caitlyn Darcy

Bike Bell - Valerie Rose

Bike Sleeves - Monica Choong

Bike Sleeves - Liz Manuel

No comments:

Post a Comment