Sunday, May 4, 2014

Happy 70th Birthday, Nonna!

Dear Nonna (Mom, Begonia, Diane, Ma, Mother, Mummy),

You we're born 70 years ago today - May 4th, 1944. I always thought that it was neat that you were born on the 4th in 44. Of course, I didn't meet you until I was born in 1970 but since then you have shown and taught me many things. I'll ask you to forgive me if I meander from here to there as 44 years can contain a lot, though not quite as much as 70! When I look back over the years that I've known you, here is what I see:

You were responsible for my love of bunnies. No, don't try to deny it, you gave me a bunny when I was a wee girl and it stuck. I am hopelessly incurable when it comes to bunnies. I must grin and squeal with joy and, if at all possible, pet the silly little creature! See? Here is the proof of your deed:

My first bunny!
You've always been an adventurer! I recall stories from my childhood of your traveling to California after college. Although the trip didn't go exactly as planned, you had the courage to set off from Massachusetts and go to California. California!!!!! Way over THERE on the map. Even where you went to college was an adventure in my young mind. You went to Ohio and to a 10 year old, Ohio is a remote and exotic location. No wonder I got the wandering travel bug! And where have your travels taken you? MA, ME, VT, NY, NJ, RI, CT, MD, AR, FL, SC, LA, KY, OH, CA, CO, VI, DC, HI, US Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Ontario, Zimbabwe, Ireland, and so many more places to go still! Italy in 2015? Let's go!!! Oh, did I mention that I'm an adventurer too? Maybe the fact that I packed up my bags (house) and moved to Alberta, Canada gave that away. But I would never have done it without your encouragement and belief in me.
Nonna in Ireland!
Oh, and who do you suppose instilled in me a love of gardening? Yeah, that would be you. From the tomatoes that I wasn't allowed to "touch" in Colorado, to the many acres in Maine, to the small patches in Concord and wherever you lived, to the Delphinium of Insanity in your flower bed, there was always something growing. Veggies, flowers, fruits... How did this manifest itself in my life? Right, can't help myself, must plant plants and nurture them, making sure they are happy, get them to pose for photos, and marvel in their beauty... On a daily basis! I'm an addict, thanks to you!

The garden in Colorado - don't touch the tomatoes!!!
Let's talk about community spirit, giving back, and caring for others. I'm beginning to think that you wrote the book and in a word that book is "Quilts". There are quilts for sick folks, quilts for babies, quilts for fundraisers, Quilts of Valor, and quilts for family. Your quilts give comfort, they bring a smile (or 10), they provide warmth in more ways than one! And that is only getting started! There have been trips to Zimbabwe, Connecticut, & Louisiana for Habitat for Humanity - every time I think of another thing you have done, I have to go back to the top and update the places your adventures have taken you! And you took me along as well - we built houses in CT, we sewed quilts for fundraisers, we volunteered at fairs and functions, we sold tickets for raffles, We even volunteered at Servv (A Greater Gift) in MD on a soccer trip! We gave our time and energies and we gave back. In return we got. We got warm fuzzies and a sense of pride, a feeling of accomplishment. Thank you for those lessons in giving. 

Habitat for Humanity - rebuilding houses after Katrina.
You dug into the past. You are fascinated with history - whether family history (genealogy) or physical history (archaeology), you love it! Digging in Durham:
Oyster River, NH Dig
Visiting history in Boston - The Freedom Trail:
Freedom Trail - Boston, MA
Floating history - USCG Barque Eagle: 
USCG Barque Eagle - 3 masted coast guard ship

And it wasn't limited to visiting history, though we have visited a fair few sites, it includes reading, researching, digging (literally as well), and reporting. Surely my love of history and writing comes from you. Your reports on the First Parish Church & early Dover, NH are fun & informative. Your joy at digging up a treasure (even if it is simply an ancient nail) is infectious.

Let's visit family now. You come from a large family (here is a small sample):
And that is only the brothers and sisters (in-laws too) and maybe a nephew or 2!
But it isn't the size that counts - it's the memories made - Thanksgivings with cousins, aunts, & uncles, Christmas with grand parents when we were young and then the traveling family Christmas tradition when we were older (my house, Grandma, Cindy's house, Kerry's house & home again), vacations on the lake, family reunions at Gayle B's, football on The Green, camping with cousins (yes, you Gayle), 4th of July in NY, & family beach days, hiking trips, camping trips, soccer trips, a "girls' vacation to FL", and so much more. You can't choose the family that you are born to but you can learn from them, love them as they are, and enjoy the strengths that they each offer. And it has been a joy to watch you with your grandchildren.
















They've grown over the years, haven't they?




You've always smiled and in smiling shown me how to deal with adversity. Not that I have always followed your example, children can be that way, but you have never had the "easy street" and yet as I look back over the past 44 years, you have always smiled. You've shown me that there is joy in the little things (plants anyone?) and I've grown to appreciate a phone call, a beautiful sky, a small thoughtfulness, and every tiny blessing in my life. 


You are silly! You are 70 years old and SILLY beyond belief! But I wouldn't change it for a second. I would never dream of telling you to act your age because you already do. My sense of humor comes from you. Guessing what cats are saying, giggling over a game of "Guess the Word" during dinner (the word was "Hickey"), laughing at the silly little things that happen every day. Thank you for making me laugh when I look back on my life.


I could go on and on, there are so many things that make up you & they are all wonderful. But instead I'll leave you with an album of moments, a giant HUG, and an I LOVE YOU! <3

Happy 70th Birthday, Mom. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment