Monday, May 26, 2014

Sadie is a 4x4

I rushed home from work this evening to mow the lawn and get in a ride with Sadie. Imagine my dismay when the sky opened up and poured down rain when I had only completed one half of the front lawn! I put away the mower and briefly considered riding in the pouring rain but visions of chaffing danced in my head.

Heading inside, I was met at the door by Sadie, insisting that she is a would love to ride in the rain. I reminded her that when it rains, the roads are slick and the trails become mud. Sadie insisted that she is a 4x4 and can handle it. "Uh huh", I said and offered a compromise - if it stops raining, we'll go for a ride. Sadie took a turn around the living room, her spokey dokes clanging while I headed off to finish the dishes.

An hour later, the rain had stopped and I geared up as Sadie zoomed about the house in anticipation of our ride.We headed for the trails that run through the neighborhoods between King & Calahoo as I knew that sticking to the paved paths over the shale trails would be difficult for Sadie. With a downpour like we had just received, who knew what condition the packed dirt would be in. Sadie zipped along, humming to be out riding in the cool, damp evening while I began to wonder if I was dressed warmly enough and as it started to sprinkle again, should I have worn my rain jacket.


Eager to explore some new terrain, I took a turn into the neighborhood close by The Secret Park. I'd never ridden here but the streets were wide and empty of traffic, just begging to be traveled. After 3km of new roads, I suggested to Sadie that we head to Jubilee park and get the hill out of the way early. She agreed and 3km later, we were rolling through the park and into the Greenbury neighborhood. Still under construction, the freshly paved roads are perfect for riding. And then it happened...

With a squeal of delight, Sadie rolled off of the sidewalk on a tight turn and into a muddy patch. "I'm a 4x4!", she shouted, making it one wheel revolution before sinking her front tire 3 inches deep in the sticky mud. I dismounted and hauled her out, her front tire & brakes now slathered in mud. The below doesn't do it justice as it was taken after returning home but you get the idea.


I groaned and shook my head. "Sadie, what on earth were you thinking?". She giggled, happily throwing gobs of mud from her tires and puddle jumping. "I'm washable", she laughed and off we went again, mud flying and Sadie rolling through every puddle she could find.

20 km later, we ended up at the front door - a shower for both Sadie and myself in order.



No comments:

Post a Comment