Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Here's Your Sign

Having worked in the petroleum industry for nearly 6 years now, I've seen my fair share of convenience stores. However, nothing compares to this little gem in Baker, Florida.

Traveling along State Route 4, Gayle and I arrived at the intersection of 189 in Baker, Florida. Having consumed a goodly amount of coffee and water, it was time for a pit stop. We pulled into the small convenience store located at the crossroads and wandered in. My first clue that I wasn't in "Kansas" anymore came from the display of nut logs at the front of the cash register. While I'm an adventurous eater, I wasn't going near these things. Wrapped in cellophane and covered in dust, I was sure they had been there for some time.

Next, waiting in line for the washroom, I was met by this:

Um, okay. Maybe they had a problem with people trying the door, finding it locked, and alerting the cashier only to be told, "Someone is in there." I started to look around as I waited. To my right was this:


Apparently they had an ice on the floor problem as well. Interesting. Who goes around randomly opening doors to large steel machines in convenience stores? My curiosity piqued, I looked around for more signs. Hey, if there were 2, there had to be more! Next up:

 The Regular Coffee must be hard to find since it requires its own sign. It's that way, down by the sink, in case you are wondering. Off I went to find it. Ah, here it is! And it can't be purchase on foodstamps! Bummer, I was really hoping to purchase it on foodstamps.

Moving on, let's see what other words of wisdom the hardware in this C-store have for me:


 I can't purchase fountain or icce drinks on foodstamps and apparently I'm not allowed to use fountain cups for ice's drinks. But, can I use them for icce drinks? Not clear at this point. Oh, and Pepsi cups can't be used for tea. I don't know about you but I've never seen so many cup rules in my life! Thank goodness there are signs to keep me straight!

 And I'm not allowed to get an empty cup without paying for it. Seems this store has a problem with people wanting empty cups.

And my favorite sign of all:

This became a mantra for Gayle & I during our trip. "Attention, when you make a sandwich, remember to eat it. We are not responsible if you walk off and leave it behind and one of your siblings eats it"....


No comments:

Post a Comment