Thursday, May 2, 2013

Once Upon a Time

Once upon a time, in a cold, northern country, there lived a gurl who loved to bike. She would bike early in the morning, in the middle of the day, late into the evening, and even in her dreams at night. The gurl would bike in the cold weather, in the rain, the wind, and the sun. Though her neighbors saw her come and go, flashing by with a smile and a wave on her red and gold bike, they often scratched their heads and wondered... Why? Why does she bike day in and day out, hour after hour?

What they didn't know was the the gurl was training for an epic event that included a mountainous goal (or 2), figuratively and quite literally.

I am that gurl and I'm riding that bike (21 year old red with gold trim Specialized Cross Roads) in the Enbridge Ride to Conquor Cancer on June 22nd & 23rd. This ride is a 2 day, 200 km (125 mile) ride that leaves out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada with an overnight (in a tent camp) at Okotoks, Alberta, and a return to Calgary on the second day. What is the ride for? Glad you asked! To raise funds for Alberta Cancer Research.

Here are the literal mountains - The Canadian Rockies! I'll be riding with these beautiful mountains as the back drop and, while I have yet to drive to Calgary (I hear Road Trip in my near future) and check them out, I get the distinct feeling that there will be some "hills" to ride.

Here are the figurative mountains -
1. Training - I'm training hard for this ride and have been since January. I ride 1-2 days per week on looooooooooooong rides (think 3+ hours - lately 4+) and I participate in high-intensity total body workouts 3 days a week. Strength and cardio are as important as endurance.

2. Fund raising - I am required to raise $2,500 to participate in THE RIDE. This is the mountain that I need help with. I'm 64% of the way there - to being allowed to ride. Won't you help me make my dream come true for a great cause?

Here are the stats as of May 2, 2013:

Date: June 22nd & 23rd, 2013
Distance: 200 KM (125 Miles)
Location: Calgary, Alberta to Okotoks, Alberta & back again

Donation Link: http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/nhkayakgirl

Fundraising required to ride: $2,500.00
Money raised to date: $1,695.00
Money left to raise to date: $805.00
(Pledged but not donated yet: $100)

Days left for fundraising: 51
Dollar amount needed per day to make Minimum goal:  $15.78

Dollars that I have personally donated towards my goal: $100.00

Dollars that I have personally spent on training, nutrition, and equipment to date: $575.00
Note: this does not count the 24 weeks of fitness training at The Boxing Club that I have been participating in since January).

The Challenge to you: Become one of my sponsors by donating at least $25.00 towards my goal.
The Mountainous Challenge: Match what I have donated.

No comments:

Post a Comment