Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year!!!!!

As 2013 draws to a close, I am looking back and reflecting on all that was good in the past 365 days. 

It is difficult to put into words all of the good that I have experienced. I'm going to try though so bear with me. 

I've settled into life in Canada - I have fantastic neighbors who snow blow my walkways when we get dumped on or who run out to the store for me when I have the plague. They let Ghiry out on short notice when I get held up at work. They cook me treats and invite me over.  They loan me their lawn mowers, garden tools, and any other odds and ends that I find myself without. 

I've settled into a new job - I work for a terrific company, with great people. I have a boss who tries to send me home when I have the plague or on the day before the holiday. My favorite words are "get out of here" on a Friday afternoon. He gives me hockey tickets when he can't go. My love of the Oilers is growing (unless the Bruins are in town). He fixes my lawn mower, adds air to my tires, and taught me to solder. He made me feel welcome and at home in my new home, far far away from everything I knew. 

In my life, my customers are like family. I left many very good friends behind when I started this new adventure and I've been lucky to gain many new ones. They are patient when I don't have the part or answer right away. They appreciate the effort that goes into support even when I get to work inside and they are stuck outside in -40 weather (I do feel bad when I have to ask you to take a photo or go outside to do some troubleshooting). They laugh with me when I get the plague and a herd of tiny frogs takes up residence in my throat (you know who you are). They dream up exotic pranks that still make me laugh. They teach me how to pronounce weirdly spelled towns and the desserts that are named after them. 

I've met so many great people who I am happy to call my friends. They go to the gym with me. They give me a ride when my truck is broken. They invite me to their homes and include me in their families. They hike with me. They bike with me. They email me long, wonderful emails of their adventures. They go on adventures with me. They dog sit for me and take such amazing care of Ghiry that he gets fat while I am away. They encourage me in new adventures. They miss me when I get the plague and am stuck at home for a week. 

I have many friends and family back in the states who have supported me on this grand adventure. They stay in touch through email, phone, text, and social media. They check in if I go missing for too long. They listen when I am blue (usually due to the plague). They laugh with me and cry with me. They send me little presents or go shopping for me when I "can't find it here". They donate to sponsor me in the ride of insanity (Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer) when I decide that I want to do a 200km 2-day bike ride. They always say "You CAN do it!".

I started a journey in 2013 to find myself and while I haven't discovered all there is to know about me, I am well on my way only because of everyone who has helped me along the way. I have long believed that who we are is made up of all of the little bits that we get from the people who have been a part of our lives combined with the loss of all of the little bits that those people take from us. We may gain an appreciation for nature from one person while we give up our fear of trying new things - thanks to another person. In 2013 I gained confidence, relocated my sense of adventure, dusted off my love of the outdoors, gave up the remnants of my disdane for solo adventures, said goodbye to the belief that I could fix a toxic friendship, and reached for the stars. I may not have caught any stars yet but the trip has been a wonderful one. 

Heading into 2014, there will be no regrets. I may fall down and need a hand getting up again but I would rather suffer the pain of having tried and stumbled than the pain of never having tried. 

Here's to a year full of adventures!!!!!

<3 I love you. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment