Sunday, March 17, 2013

Food & Nutrition

Hello there from SNOWY Alberta!

I'm still learning about sports nutrition. I think that most of us know the basics, plenty of lean protein, plenty of good (non sugar related) carbs, a low amount of fats, etc. Here is the tip from my Ride Guide... "...make sure your regular diet is well-balanced. The Ride is not the time to diet. The average person will burn 400+ calories per hour while cycling. Complex Carbs are the best source of fuel for your muscles - pasta, beans, rice, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables."

That being said, here is this weeks dinners (yes, cooking for 1 is difficult so I cook every weekend for the week): Chili, loaded with: Beans, Ground Turkey, Cilantro, Garlic, Onion, Mushrooms, Red & Green Peppers, Tomatoes (fresh, not canned), Kale, Sweet Potato, Jalapeno, & spices (I hope I didn't forget anything... OH! The Guinness! Well, most of it got into the chili anyway, thanks for the idea nhithiker!). I call it Kitchen Sink Chili and I hope it fits the bill for the week! More on diet later for those curious about what I eat while I train (you know you are curious!). For now, I leave you with this picture and I'm off to hop on the bike. According to the DVD player on the laptop, I've got 33 more minutes of Forbidden Kingdom to ride through and then I'll need to pop in another DVD. I'm open to riding movie suggestions. You can facebook message me suggestions anytime!

Here we go... 60 minutes later (10:40am MST - 11:40am)...

First 1 hour ride on the bike. To say my legs felt it is an understatement after the Butt & Gutt workout yesterday morning. 60 minutes of Squats, Crazy Frog Squats (you've got to see them to believe them), Leg Lift Squats, Donkey Kicks (Fire Hydrants in several forms), Crunches, Legs up Crunches, Frog Leg Crunches (Do you sense a Frog theme here, guess they are in good health and muscle tone..), Crunchy Frogs, Leg Drops, and so much more...

Next up? 1 Hour of personal training at 3pm with Sheila at The Boxing Club! Oh, but first lunch: Cilantro, Lime, Garlic Chicken salad - new dish I am experimenting with, I'll let you know how it tastes.. :D

And the hour at the gym was just postponed until next weekend. Hmmmm, housework here I come!

Last but not least, lets not forget the reason I am doing all of this... (besides your amusement) to prepare for the Endbridge Ride to Conquor Cancer in June. So while you are enjoying my blog, take a minute to donate to my fundraising efforts!
Thanks!

P.S. What better way to finish up the day here in Canada than with snow shoveling! The sun is out, the snow has stopped, and so out I go! See you all tomorrow (unless I end up buried in a snow bank, in which case, come dig me out!). :D

No comments:

Post a Comment