Thursday, March 21, 2013

What Causes Muscle Cramps?

Yup, yours truly had some wonderful (and by "wonderful" I mean OMG I THINK I AM GOING TO DIE!!!) muscle cramps in the inner thighs this morning. So, what causes muscle cramps and how do we get rid of them?

From webmd.com:

How can you prevent muscle cramps?
These tips may help prevent muscle cramps:

1, Drink plenty of water and other fluids, enough so that your urine is light yellow or clear like water.

2. Limit or avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine. These can make you dehydrated, which means your body has lost too much fluid.

3. Make sure you are eating healthy foods (especially if you are pregnant) that are rich in calcium, potassium, and magnesium.

4. Ride a bike or stationary bike to condition and stretch your muscles.

5. Stretch your muscles every day, especially before and after exercise and at bedtime.

6. Don't suddenly increase the amount of exercise you get. Increase your exercise a little each week.

7. Take a daily multivitamin supplement.

So, let's see here...

1. Got that fairly well covered but can do better. Note to self, DRINK MORE WATER! 

2. Not really a problem, I don't drink much of either but can cut out both completely except for the lovely Guinness in the chili I made last week. That gets to stay. :D

3. Healthy foods, CHECK! Oh, not sure on the magnesium. I think I have Calcium covered in Yogurt, Milk, Kale, and cheese, potassium covered in Bananas (every day!) but where does one get Magnesium in food? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Hmmmm, more research needed.

4. I think that is what brought this on in the first place! 1 hour of biking on the stationary trainer last night... however, will be keeping up with and increasing #4 so stay tuned for results.

5. Stretch, CHECK! Happens several times a day already.

6. Hmmm, possibly have increased suddenly with the addition of the stationary bike but now that I am here.... will keep #6 in mind.

7. Haven't been doing this... yet but certainly will consider.

So.... any suggestions, ideas, home remedies (or just wacky things you want me to try) are welcome! you can get in touch with me on my facebook page. For now, this Gurl is headed off to do some more research on the topic.

Oh, and tonight is an Enbridge Ride to Conquor Cancer Ride Kickoff Party where I plan to learn all sorts of interesting things such as Mechanics 101 & Nutrition 101 (seems like that might be helpful!). Stay tuned for what I learned at United Cycle in Edmonton tonight!

And last but not least, commitment from 2 more friends. SL & MP, you know who you are! :D Thank you both for being willing to help. :D

Update: And how could I forget the commitment from T&SB. Thank you both as well! :) 

Full listing of promised sponsors tomorrow!

Off to Edmonton for the Kickoff Party - see you all tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment