Friday, March 22, 2013

Trying New Things

Attended an Enbridge Ride to Conquor Cancer event at United Cycle in Edmonton last night. In it I learned:

1. How to change a flat tire! Thank you to the very helpful repairman at United Cycle for taking the time to show this to us (yes, I know it is your job but you did it in great humor!).

 I've changed a flat in the past, the FAR DISTANT past (think 30 years) so the refresher was very helpful! I'll need to pick up a couple of tire tubes after I settle on the new tires. The current bike is a 22 year old Specialized hybrid with nubby (not as nubby as mountain) hybrid tires. I'm thinking something a bit more road worthy for the 200KM (125 Mile) ride in June.

2. A bit more about nutrition for endurance athletes. Thank you STEVE, you were very helpful and patient with this Gurl who knows so little yet.

Having never been, or even thought of myself as, an endurance athlete, I'm a bit new to the "How do you keep your body running for 6 hour straight?" scene. So how exactly do you do it? Science, a lot of brain picking, & a lot of Google time. *gets her "mad scientist" grin on* More on this as I learn more. Though I will leave you with, I am trying a new supplement by Hammer and I'll let you know how I do with it.

3. Shannon at United Cycle is a WONDERFUL resource when it comes to all things biking as a GURL! She has actually ridden in several (many, many) rides and is uber willing to impart her knowledge to others. I come away from my time with her having gained a pair of womens' bike shorts, some very snazzy socks (for use now - at the gym, not for the ride), a new bike saddle (for women - I am a woman after all!), and a head full of info and I'm sure more questions to come!

Next stop? Sunday 6am endurance spin class at The Boxing Club. Rumor has it that this is a 3-4 hour class. Do I think I'll last the 3 hours on Sunday? Not yet but I'm going to try my new shorts, my new supplements, and my hardest to stick it out as long as I can!

Encourage me to stay the whole 3 hours by donating to my ride!

Oh, and as promised, the list of those who have promised to donate to the ride:

DA
T&SB
SL
KT
SR
OD
SM
BB
AL
MP

C&ED
CAH

I've only got 92 days left to go, let's get this done! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment