Sunday, March 31, 2013

Recovery Week

This weekend kicked off a Recovery Week for me. If you've never done a high-intensity workout program, you may be scratching your head and wondering "What the heck is a recovery week?" Well, let me tell you... :D You knew this was coming, huh (insert "eh" in place of "huh" if you are reading from Canada! Yeah, hard work to write for 2, or more, audiences. )?

Recovery Week: Usually taken after 8-12 weeks of intense exercise to allow your body to rest, renew, refresh, and recover, allowing you to continue progressing and improving after the recovery week is over.

During a recovery week you do not participate in high-intensity exercise but you don't become a couch potato (good thing I don't own a couch anyway!) or slug either. Exercise should be moderate (think a brisk walk with the dog) and nutrition should be similar to what you have been consuming during your exercise weeks - healthy fuel for your body. This is NOT a week to "let it all go". 

I'll be spending my recovery week walking the dog (lucky Ghiry!) and working on learning more about endurance nutrition, injury prevention, and so much more! I'll be taking a hike in Edmonton in the Whitemud Ravine with a Meetup group and dropping in on an Italian Speakers Meetup one evening. Should be interesting to see just how rusty my Italian is after all these years! :D

Oh! And of course I will be FUNDRAISING for my ride in June! 

Here are a couple of articles on Recovery Week:

From Livestrong.com
Also from Livestrong.com
From Get Fit NH Bootcamp - I used to attend these classes in NH. Great people and a great program.


No comments:

Post a Comment