Sunday, June 23, 2013

Scots Day


Sunday I decided to explore my Scottish heritage. Over the past 3 years, I've done a bit of genealogy research on my father's family (MacDearmid - McDermid, McDiarmid) who came to America in the late 1700's from Parish of Fortingall, Perth, Scotland. Oddly enough, they immigrated to NH, were I had lived for most of my life. My parents had both grown up in Massachussets and so I'd always believed that was where I'd find my father's family.

Now, back to Sunday! I'd learned there was to be a Scottish Highlands Gathering in Edmonton and as THE RIDE was postponed, I decided that it would be fun to have an adventure after training for weeks on end. Besides, my camera was getting dusty. The first adventure was finding the place. I don't own a GPS but rely on Google Maps on my cell phone to get me where I need to go. I fueled up The Dingo, punched in the address, and set off.

One thing I'm learning is that you must pay extra attention to the DIRECTION of the streets and avenues in Edmonton. You see, Edmonton is set up on a grid with streets running north/south and avenues running east/west. And they are all numbered - 0 through 100+. So there is a 100 Street and a 100 Ave. Not only that, there is a 100 Ave NW and a 100 Ave SW. There is a difference you know! Where am I going with this? Well, I punched in 3105 - 101 St. N.W and when I arrived, there was NOTHING there. Well, now what am I going to do? I got opened Safari and did a quick search for Grant MacEwan Park as that is where the games were being held. Great! Only 2.3 miles away. I drove over and found myself at Grant MacEwan, but not the park. It appears to be a satellite of the Grant MacEwan University. I was already out in Edmonton and determined to make it to the games. Out comes the iPhone and after a few more searches, I located the Edmonton Scottish Society webpage and address listing the event at 3105 - 101 St. S.W. only 5 miles away. And off I go again... An adventure within an adventure!

Arriving at Grant MacEwan Park, I'm delighted to see MEN IN KILTS! (I'll be back after this brief intermission...)

So, I paid my entrance fee and wandered among the vendors. The wares are similar to what you'll find in any souvenir shop in Ireland except with a Scottish twist. Rather than clovers and knit wool sweaters, you find thistles and clan tartans. I picked up a small book on the history of the Campbell clan which McDiarmid is a sept of though it appears that the Campbell name came out of the name Diarmid. More research needed.

Next up: Scottish Dance Competition! I never knew tartan came in so many colors. Though I don't know the names of the dances, I think my favorite were the sword dancers. Especially the wee lassies who didn't look to be much taller than the swords. I was reminded of my nieces who had taken Irish Dance when they were younger except Scottish Dance is less rigid.

On to the Heavy Events where men (and women) throw heavy metal balls for distance or height and toss the caber. I never knew the point of the caber toss was not distance but rather to get the caber to rotate 180 degrees in the air and land perfectly at 12 O'clock from where it was thrown.

And now to try some authentic (at least as far as I know, as I've never had any) Scottish food. Let's just say that the haggis stayed with me all day and is one food that I'm not eager to try again anytime soon. I'm not big on organ meat or pasty textured foods. BLECH! The shortbread cookies were great though! My reward after suffering through the haggis. :D

After lunch it was time for The Knights of the Northern Realm. I like Knights as much as the next fair maiden so it was a given that I'd be checking this out! The event included trying your hand at archery. I loved archery as a kid and though it has been 30 years since I've practiced, I did manage to hit the target and was complimented on my form. Perhaps it is time to locate a local archery range and I think I've seen one in Spruce Grove... Hmmm, new hobby?

Following Opening Ceremonies (pictured at the top of the post) The Knights recreated a battle (seen in the pictures at the link above). It was a lot of fun to watch these armored knights have at each other with sword and pike. The Scots won, of course.

Ongoing throughout the day was the pipe & drum competition. Both single musicians and bands were competing. I never realized just how many tunes there are for the pipes! Some of them quite beautiful. I've only really heard snippets of songs in movies and the rare parade but nothing like this. It is amazing what a good piper can do with the bagpipes! I'll work on getting some uploaded soon.

All in all an amazingly wonderful day despite the sunburn and haggis. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment