Thursday, April 18, 2013

First Outside Ride

Last night was my first outside ride of the season as part of my training for the Enbridge Ride to Conquor Cancer. 

Date: April 17, 2013
Days until The Ride: 66
Temperature: 41F (5C)
Funds Still Needed to Ride: $1,360 (hint, sponsor me! Click the big green button, you know you wanna!)


I left the house just after 5:30pm to explore the Spruce Grove Heritage Trail. This trail is a wide paved walkway that winds around neighborhoods and through Ghiry's favorite forest in the City of Spruce Grove. As the snow has finally receded from 98% of the trail, it makes a good training ground with it's winding paths and various levels of incline. I should note that I'm using the Nike Running App to track distance and let's just say that because I ride here, there, and wherever the Megrims take me, my route map looks pretty funny! I may have to make it a goal to come up with the weirdest looking maps possible just to amuse myself.


As you can see, I got in 12.44 miles (20 KM) last night. Overall it was terrific to be outside but I continue to struggle with the nutritional aspect of endurance training. I added some extra carbs in the form of Spelt Pasta to my mid-day meal and brought along electrolytes in my water but by mile 12, I was spent. Perhaps more pasta is in order...

Stay tuned for the next ride, most likely on Saturday before and after the regularly scheduled Butt & Gutt class! See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment