Saturday, April 6, 2013

White Mud Ravine & Nature Reserve Hike

It was a good day for a hike. Not too cold or windy, high of 34F, but no sun. I met up with the Edmonton Hikers Group (MeetUp) at 10:15 in the Fox Drive parking lot for roll call and introductions. The trail selected for the day is ~6.3 KM each way for a total of 12.6 KM (7.8 miles) which we completed in just over 3 hours. The trail winds through a ravine and crosses a river several times. Part of the trail is through an old forest with very tall Pine and what look like Ash trees while the rest of the trail is in the open. It is beautifully maintained with bridges and the pathways are paved under the snow.

I had brought ice cleats but ended up taking them off (well, one fell off and I removed the other) and not needing them due to the recent snowfall being sticky. Not knowing what to expect for weather, I dressed in my Under Armor Cold Gear top, a thin Nike Fleece, and my UNH hoodie on top. I brought a spare top layer, 2 pairs of gloves, wore 2 pairs of socks (the new Bike socks that are designed to keep your feet warm when wet were a DREAM), and figured I'd be safe with my Nike leggings under a second layer for pants. All in all, I was pretty comfortable. Not a bad way to test out some new socks but I was happy that I also brought along dry socks for after the hike.

I spent the first half of the hike (the uphill portion) chatting with Aneika - who is here from England. The hike flew by and before I knew it, we were at the turn around point. By then I had donned my winter hat (a frog) and Aneika suggested we call it Frodo. So Frodo the Frog it is.

The second half of the hike I spent chatting with Tomomi - who is here from Japan. I've always loved the names that mean something and her's means Beauty & Wisdom. Such a lovely name! :)

I also had the opportunity to walk with Sheila & Neil and chat about biking, training, nutrition, and life in general. In case you can't guess, this was a social event! :) Or I talk a lot.. hmmm, that might be it but either way, some very nice folks came out today and I really enjoyed meeting and chatting with them.

This was my first hike in a long time but I look forward to getting some real hiking boots and hitting the trails again soon. Perhaps the Glory Hills north of Stony Plain, Alberta. While this was not a particularly difficult hike, it was fast paced and I can quite honestly say my bum is sore! :)

Tomorrow I get back on the bike.

Some pictures from the hike can be found here.






No comments:

Post a Comment