Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Cliffs of Insanity

NOTE: This year's ride link is here (not the ones below, they are last year)

In my family, when something is too big to believe, it becomes "The Cliffs of Insanity" (reference The Princess Bride - yeah, even you guys can appreciate this movie). My mom grows Delphinium that reaches 6 ft tall or better - it has become The Delphinium of Insanity. I have registered for the Enbridge Ride to Conquor Cancer - a 2-day, 200 KM (125 Mile) bike ride to raise funds for Cancer Research Alberta. It has become The Bike Ride of Insanity!

Why did I do it, you might ask. And the answer is here: Why I am riding in The Bike Ride of Insanity.

Now, registering for The Bike Ride of Insanity is one thing. That is the easiest part (after a bit of nudging and encouragement from a good friend). The hard parts (Yes, there are more than 1 hard part or else it wouldn't be so insane, now would it?) are The Training of Insanity & The Fundraising of Insanity. Let's take them one at a time, shall we?

The Training of Insanity: In order to ride in The Bike Ride of Insanity, I need to be prepare to pedal 200 KM (125 Miles) over 2 days. Broken down, that is 100 KM (65 Miles) per day, most likely over 6+ hours each day. How does one train for such a thing? Personally, I participate in several high-intensity workouts at a local gym each week (3 days a week) and I ride 2-3 days per week. My last 2 riding sessions consisted of 3 hours of indoor spin on a Sunday and 1.5 hours of outdoor street riding on a Wednesday. Each week I add more time/distance to my rides so that by June 22nd (just 9 short weeks away), I'll be able to ride 6+ hours a day, at least 2 days a week. I know I can do this but that brings us to...

The Fundraising of Insanity: This is where you come in. I can't do The Bike Ride of Insanity alone. I've registered and I am training but I need to raise at least $2,500 to be allowed to get on my bike on June 22nd and ride out of Calgary, Alberta with 1,500 other riders who have raised their funds. This is why I am making The Plea of Insanity. I am asking you, a total stranger who may be reading my blog for the first time, please, sponsor me in The Bike Ride of Insanity.

Here are the stats as of April 20, 2013:

Date: June 22nd & 23rd, 2013
Distance: 200 KM (125 Miles)
Location: West of Calgary, Alberta
Fundraising required to ride: $2,500.00
Money raised to date: $1,490.00
Money left to raise to date: $1,010.00
Days left for fundraising: 63
Dollar amount needed per day to make Minimum goal:  $16.03
Personal fundraising goal: $5,000.00
Dollar amount needed per day to make Personal Goal:  $55.71
Dollars that I have personally donated towards my goal: $100.00
Dollars that I have personally spent on training, nutrition, and equipment to date: $500.00 (note: this does not count the 24 weeks of fitness training at The Boxing Club that I have been participating in since January).
The Challenge of Insanity: Match what I have donated. 


Need a Laugh of Insanity today? 

A HUGE THANK YOU out to my many sponsors who have already donated and a Hug of Insanity to my #1 Cheerleader.





No comments:

Post a Comment