Friday, April 12, 2013

Journeys

This week marks my 23rd week of nutritional changes, 14th week of fitness training, and 6th week of bike specific training.

I have 10 weeks remaining to train until the day of the Enbridge Ride to Conquor Cancer - a 200 KM (125 Mile) ride. I can't believe how quickly time has gone and how many changes have happened since November, 2012. Here is a "recap":

23 weeks ago, I embarked on a journey of nutritional changes:

November 4th, 5th & 6th, 2012 - with the help of my mom, sister Cindy, and E, we packed a 17' U-Haul with my pared down belongings & my dog, Ghiry, (sad that it still took a 17' truck) and I departed for Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. You didn't realize I was a Yankee in Alberta did ya? Yuppers, that is me! What was to be a 5 day drive from Lee, NH, USA to my new home turned into 7 with a forced 2 night stay in Weyburn, SK, Canada due to Winter Storm Brutus.

Over the past several years I'd suffered an injury to my lower back and had gotten into some very bad eating habits. I was determined that this new move was going to be the start of a new me as well. I packed only healthy foods for my trip northwest and thus began my nutritional journey. What did I bring? Whole wheat bread, Granny Smith apples, bananas, organic natural (no sugar added) peanut butter, granola bars, and water. I picked up some fresh cheese in Wisconsin (couldn't pass it up!) at the Mousehouse Cheesehaus and enjoyed eggs and fruit for breakfast at the hotels that I stayed in. After 7 days of cleaner eating, it was easier to keep it up after arriving in Canada. The past 23 weeks haven't always been easy and I've had to spend a lot of time learning how to eat healthy, what my body needs, how little is too little, what doesn't work for me, etc. This is an ongoing process. For those interested, I'll include a link in the future to what I do eat in a day, during training and not.
Pictures of the trip from NH to AB

14 weeks ago, I began my journey to re-incorporate fitness into my daily life:

I signed up for classes at a local gym that runs a 12 week schedule. It was just by chance that I found them and that this turned out to be the right fit for me. Over my life I've been everything from a couch potato to a gym rat. I find that the programs that work best for me are group classes with a high-energy instructor and a challenging format. I found this at The Boxing Club in Spruce Grove, AB. My instructors: Sheila, Ashley, & Svetlana are as high-energy as they come with a mix of positive encouragement and constructive correction. The classes are hard work. You will hurt, you will struggle, and it won't get easier. You'll do more reps over time but you will work just as hard week 12 as you did week 1. It has been amazing.

6 Weeks ago, I began my bike journey:

I signed up for the Enbridge Ride to Conquor Cancer and began bike training. This is where the blog started, where the serious biking started, & where the next adventure begins. You can page back through the blog to see what has happened since March 4, 2013, how far I have come & how far I still have to go. Saturday and Sunday are my major riding days. Currently I am up to 2 hours on a weekend day with a plan to push it up 1/2 an hour each weekend. This weekend will be 2.5 hours per session on the bike.

Where will this journey go from here? Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment