Wednesday, July 17, 2013

He's a Cad

cad

[kad] 
noun
1. an ill-bred man, especially one who behaves in a dishonorable or irresponsible way toward women.
This one has a fairly well thought out profile, and interesting way of expressing himself, and a puzzle for you to solve. I would not have messaged him but for the puzzle. While we do share some interests and he is a handsome enough guy, he is 6'3" (I'm a whole 5'3") and there was just something that I wasn't sure that I'd be interested in. So, I decided I'd message him just for the puzzle. 
His puzzle: 
"I'm not kidding... I will buy dinner for the first woman that answers this correctly:

Solve for x ---> C12H22O11 + Capsaicin + x = You

No hints :-p"
 

Now I know that Capsaicin is related to the HOT in chili peppers and the like. What? It's been all over the news as a metabolism booster... it has. Having no idea what C12H22011 is, I googled. The rules only say no hints, it doesn't say no googling. Really, the only rules are above. I got a wiki hit that indicated this compound has something to do with sugars - aka: sweet stuff. Having read quite a few male profiles that indicate they are looking for sweet, attractive women, I send the following: 
"SWEET + HOT + SMART = YOU"
I don't generally write up guys who respond back and had no intention of writing up this one. I got back the following: 
"Almost! Good try :-)

Out of all the answers received so far... yours is the only one that was heading in the right direction.

I did register the answer with another member as proof that I am playing fair ;-)" 

 
He then went on to send me a second response indicating that he likes a portion of my profile, is actively pursuing someone and that once he "seals the deal" he'll be writing up something similar for his profile. Now I scratched my head a bit and wondered to myself: Why is a guy who is actively pursuing someone still on the website with an active profile? Why? Anyway, I responded back about the thought behind my profile and the (unscientific) research that went into my conclusion and offered to chat via email as friends, assuring him that I wouldn't take his email correspondence as anything but friendship as he was actively working to "reel one in". No response but at this point, it wasn't expected. 
The story continues as I do a bit of thinking on the puzzle. Hmmmm, I can figure this one out. I mulled it over the next morning and had a lightening bolt strike. AH HA! Capsaicin is spicy - if I change HOT to Spice... and the compound refers to sugars... nursery rhyme time... It can't be, can it?  I figure I'll send it to him but am stuck on the whole "he is already pursuing someone" thing. I figure if I get it right, I can tell him to take his interest out to dinner instead. Yeah, I can live with that.
I fire off: "Sugar + Spice + Everything Nice = You" 

And I get back this:
"Indeed.

x = everything nice :-)

It's a shame it took you two guesses (and a subtle hint) ... I would have honoured my pledge ;-)

Don't tell anyone please!!

I'm testing for outside-the-box thinking ;-)"
Honestly, I think there are better ways to tell a woman that you are not going to honor your word than to start making up rules as you go. Suddenly there is a, until now unstated, guess limit and apparently there was a subtle hint in his response that I was heading in the right direction. Uh, Huh... 
C.A.D to the core.  
 
Oh, I'm not telling "anyone", I'm telling everyone... :D
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment