Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chick-A-Go!

Wednesday afternoon I landed at O'Hare International in Chicago and I learned a few things...

1. Rental cars are WAY more expensive in Chicago and at O'Hare than they are in Canada or New Hampshire. I kinda knew this when booking my rental before the trip but imagine my shock (jaw to the floor type shock) when I asked how much it would cost to rent the cheapest car overnight from O'Hare and return it to Midway and the answer was $254.00. Really? REALLY!?!???!?? Who pays the price of 2 hotel rooms or 2 weeks groceries for a family of 4 for a single day car rental? Who?

2. Traffic in and around Chicago is crazy. I drove out to Hodgkins to visit OPW and I couldn't figure out why the traffic was going at a snail's pace and then nearly reaching the speed limit only to drop back to a crawl 2 minutes later. Repeat this cycle over and over in all lanes and that was my 45 minute drive. I don't think I'll ever understand what makes ALL lanes of traffic drive stupid.

3. Root Beer Beer Floats are AMAZING!!! How could one not love this delicious invention of deliciousness? They couldn't not love it is the answer! See attached image of said deliciousness (or half of the deliciousness as the other half was already inside my tummy). And yes, you read right, this is Root Beer Beer. The real McCoy.

OM NOM NOM!
4. If you love Italian, you must visit Quartino Ristorante & Wine Bar. Say hello to Peter while you are there. He is the best! The waitstaff and barkeeps get into the spirit of Italy, wearing Italian soccer jerseys. It is an all around fun and OMNOMNOM restaurant experience. Prices are reasonable and the food is terrific! Have an antipasto plate, a pizza (brick oven, of course), and a pasta dish. I'd recommend the tortellini Alfredo. Thank you Carla for picking the perfect place!

5. Kanela is Greek for "cinnamon" and the Kanela Breakfast Club makes amazing food!!! Kanela Chip Pancakes with melted honey butter, salmon or asparagus Benedict, scrambles with gruyere, caramelized onion, and bacon... *sighs* I know where I'm going for breakfast on August 5!

6. My son is growing up! I'm sure every mom out there can appreciate the fact that if you haven't seen your child in a loooong time, it is a little shocking to see that they have changed a bit. (even when it is for the better). I had a wonderful visit with Matthew who is now 22, working full time (plus extra shifts), has his own apartment with friends, has a terrific girlfriend, and is self sufficient. When they are 2 you never picture them at 22. I'm so proud of the man he is becoming. I enjoyed staying with him and meeting all of his friends and co-workers at Cheesie's #chzlyf  @cheesieschicago on twitter and sharing a beer even! (see said deliciousness above).

No comments:

Post a Comment